Painless, Non-Surgical Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Treatment
One in five people will develop skin cancer in their lifetime, with more than 5.4 million cases diagnosed annually in the U.S.1 The majority of cancers appear on sun exposed areas such as the face, scalp, nose, ears, hands, arms and legs.
If you have been diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC), such as basal or squamous cell carcinoma, you may have concerns about scarring, wound healing or preserving functionality in anatomically challenging areas.
What is Skin eBx?
Skin eBx is an advanced, patient-friendly option for NMSC treatment. Skin eBx provides an effective and convenient alternative to surgery allowing patients to return to normal activities immediately with no downtime.*
While surgery is considered to be the standard of care for NMSC, for some patients, surgery is not an option or a preference. A completely non-invasive approach, no cutting, bleeding or stitching is required with skin eBx, offering reduced risk of complications compared to surgery.
Skin eBx uses a miniaturized x-ray source to deliver a precise radiation dose to your cancer lesion. This targeted treatment directs the radiation to the size and shape of the cancerous area, carefully destroying cancer cells and sparing surrounding healthy tissue. From a leading provider in skin electronic brachytherapy, skin eBx offers a safe and effective outpatient option delivering excellent clinical and cosmetic results. More than 10,000 NMSC patients have been successfully treated with skin eBx.
Treatment requires just a few brief visits to your doctor. Skin eBx is administered in five simple steps.
- A clinician will prepare a customized set-up designed to target the lesion while protecting surrounding healthy tissue.
- A small surface applicator is placed on the skin where the radiation is to be delivered.
- The miniaturized x-ray source is placed in the applicator and energized to deliver a precise, prescribed dose of radiation.
- Radiation is delivered in just a few minutes in a standard exam room while medical personnel remain in the room.
- Once the treatment is complete, customized treatment devices are removed. The patient is able to return to normal activities immediately.
Appropriate candidates for skin eBx may include the following patients:
- Patients with lesions in anatomically challenging locations
- Patients who prefer an alternative to surgery
- Patients who are not surgical candidates due to medical comorbidities or other health issues such as diabetes, peripheral vascular disease or blood thinning medication
- Patients with higher-risk lesions, including features such as positive margins, requiring adjunct therapy to surgery
- Patients with busy schedules
Do you have any questions about Brachytherapy Treatment? If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our dermatologists in our Los Alamitos or Agoura Hills office, please contact us for a consultation.
*Disclaimer, results may vary from person to person.